I got a great ‘question’ idea from an inc. article today:
“How much better does our “better” have to be for you to work with us?” was number 3 of the article’s 5 questions for assessing prospective customers.
Let’s apply this to Impact Investing:
“How much better than a traditional investment would our system have to be, to persuade you to invest in us?”
It would have to be:
– easy to find and easy to use
– fun to be part of
– credible: independently monitored, tied to established criteria eg FTSE4Good, UN Principles for Responsible Investment, GIIRS or IRIS
– giving a reasonable return: above the average high street bank saver account rate, preferably guaranteed even if over a short time (eg 3-12 months) … or offering people a risk choice of ‘fixed’ or ‘surprise me’
– clear impact benefits eg. like HungerSite ‘you just gave a cup of food to a hungry child!’ … what’s not to love about that?
– giving people a feeling of having a whirl on the stock exchange, whilst also getting that warm glow inside they’d get from giving to charity … and of course they can reinvest again and again
– like a game – a bit addictive, you can win mini-competitions, earn points … a reason to come back frequently – Empire Avenue meets Kiva
– successful! nothing succeeds like success.
Any other “better” criteria you can think of?
What would persuade YOU to invest a % of your hard-earned into such a fund?